Dear Parents, Friends and Sailors,
We have been gearing up for a fun filled safe summer on the HPYC waterfront. All the hiring is completed and we have an energetic, enthusiastic staff who bring so many different talents to the sailing dock (see their pictures and Bio’s on the staff page) https://www.leagueathletics.com/Page.asp?n=49771&org=hpycjs.org
There will be exciting changes this summer as listed below: (These may need to be modified due to the current situation)
- We are now offering a Sunfish Class, with Junior Commodore Races
- The Advanced Opti class will now be called Advanced Opti Race Team
- There will be a 420 race team who will travel to and host other yacht clubs in competitions weekly.
- An adult sailing class will be offered on Tuesdays from 4pm -6pm with a social hour to follow.
- There is a new rating system which is explained in the class descriptions with specific skills and goals required to pass to the next level. It is very objective and motivating -it allows the sailors to monitor their progress.
- We will reestablish the Junior Commodore Officers who will be elected by their peers, and with help from the Program Director, arrange cookouts and special events to draw more people to our beautiful waterfront and pier. With their leadership , we look forward to having more activities at HPYC.
We are all hoping that this sailing season will continue as planned or at least in a modified form. At this point we are all in a wait and see mode. For now, we continue to assess the unfolding situation and sustain the effort to overcome the pandemic and prepare for the summer program as quickly as reasonable to do so.
At this point, we will hold off on sign-ups until we get more information. Our priority is for the health and safety of our sailors and staff as well as for the entire community. Stay tune for updates.
All the best,
Meg Brogan Adley
HPYC Program Director
email@example.com (please put HPYC in subject)